Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I hate bedtime.

I am tired of bedtimes. I hate bedtime. Little Miss Sommer also hates bedtime - so you can imagine my frustration level at this particular time of night. Usually bedtime isn't until 10:00 pm because Sommer is the ultimate night owl. It's like she thinks she will be missing something SO important if she goes to bed early. Usually it's a fight - it starts off nice, sweet, quiet. Patience is in my voice and all my actions. After the 3rd time of her door opening I start to get a little less patient - I start to threaten ("There will be no park tomorrow", "I will take your noiseybox (music box) out of your room"). After this I am starting to get MAD - I will threaten to spank and then I will spank. UGH. Tonight was no different. I am exhausted.

I use to have the perfect child at bedtime. Kiss good night, say prayers, go to bed. And I wouldn't see her to morning. PERFECT. But for the last while (actually for a really long time...) we have had WWIII at bedtime. Doesn't she understand that I would give ANYTHING to go to bed early. Please, someone send me to bed!!! Kids are funny that way. I can remember fighting my parents over an afternoon nap. Why nap when the world is still going on outside my window? Now, I would PAY someone to send me to my room for a nap. Kids have it easy - if only they knew that.

Well I think she is finally asleep. I guess I will start my mountains of laundry that are waiting for me. Please tell me I am not the only parent who hates bedtime???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa: boy could I relate to the bedtime battles! Shelby still doesn't like going to bed at 8 years old BUT she also really needs her sleep but "it is so unfair that the other kids get to stay up later and I have to go to bed"!!! We also try making bedtimes peaceful but some nights it just doesn't happen, I end up yelling and she goes to bed mad! Hang in there. Heather

Saffron said...

Jake sent me to my room the other day and I gladly went! He wasn't too sure what to do about it. No worries, all kids are like that and it is exhausting and patience seems so far away. You are not alone...we're all going crazy right along side of you!!

Louise said...

haha! Jackson's famous line is, "how come YOU don't have to go to bed yet???" (arms crossed, big pout) and I always tell him, I WISH I could go to bed now!