Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Big Surprise - Successful!

I pulled off the big surprise! Tuesday night Sommer and I arrived in Portland to surprise my mom and dad (and siblings) for American Thanksgiving :) We flew to Abbotsford where my sister picked us up and then drove home with her and Kevin. My mom could not believe it when she came out to help carry in the "heavy bags" from the car. She kept saying "No way!! No way!!! Sommer!!" What a fun thing to do for a grandma who doesn't see her grand-daughter that often. Even more special is that we will be down here again in 3 weeks to celebrate christmas! We also surprised my grandparents who were visiting from Orlando as they were in Portland for the holidays too. On Thursday there was 20 of us celebrating thanksgiving in Salem, OR, some of whom had never met Sommer before.

Sommer is being REALLY clingy here. She loves grandma and Aunti Kristi and sometimes Grandpa too. But Uncle Kevin - that is a different story. She gives him high 5's and that is about it. She has really taken to screaming (more shreiking - but not crying) when he goes near her... it's pretty funny to watch!! Good thing he has a good attitude about it and thinks that it is funny too. She doesn't like me to be out of sight which makes things difficult. I can't go to the bathroom or take a diaper outside to the garbage without her crying. Usually she is fine but this is a new place I guess. Slowly we are getting better... we will probably be fine by the time we are to go home.

Tonight Kristi and I went to see 4 Christmases with Vince Vaughn and Reece Witherspoon. Totally recommend it - 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, probably best movie I have seen in a while!! It was super funny, held your attention, and had a happy ending. Better than my last favorite movie (The Break-Up) because the ending was actually good. It is the type of movie that I would go see again if someone wanted to see it.

Today was Black Friday here in America - like Boxing Day in Canada. If you think about it Black Friday makes WAY more sense than Boxing Day because everyone could use the "deals" to purchase their christmas presents instead of shopping after they have received all their presents. I really think Canada should incorporate this hoilday/tradition... it only makes sense! I didn't go shopping though because there was nothing that I needed and not to mention that with our dollar so low it was probably MORE expensive to shop in the USA! But there were some good deals out there that's for sure!

I should head to bed here as it is already 10:30 pm (12:30 am in Regina). I have another long day tomorrow with a Winterhawks hockey game in the afternoon. We are having a great time down here with family and now will look forward to returning for Christmas!

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Have a wonderful time with your family. A big Hello from all of us. I too agree with you about Black Friday & Boxing Day!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.