Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How Great Is Our God?

I should be on my way to work, but I can't stop thinking about those poor, innocent students that died yesterday at Vir. Tech. I have to write down my thoughts, in hope that I can move on with what I have planned today.

What is wrong with this world? It is one thing for an individual to take his own life, but to take down 32 others with you is something that I just don't understand. How can one feel so alone and upset that they burst into a dorm at 7:15 am and shoot 2 people, then return to a classroom about 2 hours later and kill 30 more people? My heart goes out to the families, friends of the victims, if I can't get over it then how will they?

I don't know what kind of schedule those students are on. Whether they are wrapping up their school year or going until May or June. But how can those remaining thousands of students concentrate on their studies when their lives have been changed forever. I pray that God gives them peace but is that enough? The University career can be hard at the best of times. But with this added, and unnecessary, twist to their lives how can a student focus on finishing hard and strong? The gunman sure didn't think about others, what a selfish and cowardly thing to do.

I am so mad at that young man! How can you be so self centered and stupid? What was going through his head? What makes it worse is that I heard that he didn't use a high poured gun, rather he killed each individual with the pull of a trigger, he made a decision each time he killed someone. Again, what was he thinking? What good came out of his plan? So many questions. I know that God would want me to forgive this individual, because that is what He would do. But I feel like asking Him, "God, how can we forgive people like this? It's too hard! He knew what he was doing and it was so wrong. He deserves the worst punishments you can give him!" Our God, who is so forgiving and loving, would take this individual in his arms and love him.... and that I just don't understand... sometimes I really think, "My God is too good!".

How Great is our God?
How Great is our God?
He is so great that he forgives those who the world would like to kill and be rid of.
Sometimes I think that is not fair. But who am I to question the Almighty and powerful God. He is the one incharge, no matter how much I want to be. And trust me, I like to be the one calling the shots.

I love the new Martina McBride song, "Anyway". The chorus really has hit home for me lately. That God is good, but life isn't always. And when you pray things don't always turn out like you think they should. How true. But she says, don't stop doing things because they aren't turning out. Keep going and do them anyway.

Martina McBride -"Anyway"
You can spend your whole life building
Something from nothin'
One storm can come and blow it all away
Build it anyway
You can chase a dream
That seems so out of reach
And you know it might not ever come your way
Dream it anyway
God is great
But sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
I do it anyway
This world's gone crazy
It's hard to believe
That tomorrow will be better than today
Believe it anyway
You can love someone with all your heart
For all the right reasons
In a moment they can choose to walk away
Love 'em anyway
God is great
But sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray
It doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway
I do it anyway
You can pour your soul out singing
A song you believe in
That tomorrow they'll forget you ever sang
Sing it anyway
Yea - sing it anyway
I sing
I dream
I love
Anyway


Well, I better get going here. I hope you all have a safe and productive day!

Much love,
Melissa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mel, i totally love that song and i love how you worked it in...God is good! i was studying all day yesterday and didn't hear about this tragedy until this morning...it's so hard to believe but i just pray that everyone involved can know that God is still good...he is always good! reminds me of a joan of arcadia episode! p.s. when do we get to hear this secret thing?

Sheena said...

Mel,
I completely feel everything you are feeling. All day yesterday I couldn't help but look at the pictures, watch the video clips and think...what now? It is so easy to ignore it but I am sick of doing that. Too much of this is happening all over the world and it makes me sick to think of the lives that are affected everyday by evil. What can we do?

Mike said...

Hey Mel,

I know what you mean...you sound just like me. I know there is no other answer but God's grace and goodness. We want our brand of justice and we want it now...but when we fail we sure want God's grace.