Thursday, May 17, 2007

Watch what you say!

I believe today will be a beautiful Thursday, with the high of 31 degrees! WOO HOO! I just love the summer weather and I blame in on being born in the South. It's simply in my blood! I would much rather take scrotching hot weather than any amount of snow. Winter depresses and confines me. I never feel like myself when it is the winter months. But as soon as Spring hits I am freed from the winter blues. Energy returns!

Today's blog might be a bit of a rant but I find I need to get this off my chest. I don't have many petpeeves but I do have one. I hate, and I mean it seriously bother's me, when people say "Oh my God!". I would rather hear the rudest, crudest and harshest curse word than to have to listen to someone say "Oh my God". I just think why do you need to say that? Can you not think of anything else to say in place of that? Do you even know what that means? And I know a lot of "church" people who say that which bothers me even more. I understand some people don't even know they are saying it but to me that means you need a reality check. Oh my God should be used as words to describe the most amazing and precious teacher, father and friend. The words should show your awe for such a powerful God. They should not be used lightly, they are words that proclaim what an great God we serve! I can't remember the last time I said those 3 words. I was taught you don't say them if you aren't referring to God, which I still strongly believe today. So, know you know my petpeeve, if you are around me please watch what you say.

Well, that was random but I feel better about it! I should find some work to do at work...

Later!
Melissa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel,
Rant all you want!! I agree. I also know most of us need to be more careful about what words we use. I don't mean we need to be stuffy and legalistic. But our words should be more in tune with how we want our lives to be lived, with Godliness, sincerity, respect, and truthfulness. Christ-Followers is who we want to be. Christ-followers is how we want to speak.
Su-Ann

Anonymous said...

i concur. i don't like it either.

that said, i do think most people are using that phrase as in 'oh my GAWD' more of slang than a blasephmy. i think part of being a Christ-follower is granting others grace and not taking offence when none is intended. not trying to rattle you further just giving you another way to look at it.
deb

Melissa Denise said...

I see your point Deb, but at the same time I really think they could come up with another word to say. Even Gosh doesn't bother me. I think people should be more in tune to how they "sound" not just what they "mean". And I will give all the grace they need and deserve, which is a lot, but it still is a pharse that should not be said lightly.

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you Mellie. just giving you food for thought. i think another thing to consider is if the person is a Christian or not. I think it is poor for Christians to do and indeed blasphemous (sp?). with someone who does not know God intimately i think of it as 'gawd' terminology.

have a good sleep. hope your back won't bother you and you rest well.
deb