Monday, November 06, 2006

Basement Building Bee

THAT WAS THE LONGEST WEEKEND OF MY LIFE! Yes, I worked on the house like a freakin dog this past weekend. But we got the whole basement practically finished (minus the flooring, but that's not on our plate). It looks so awesome! James and I actually were able to work together this weekend (first time ever). I only threw one paint brush at him and threatened to walk away 3x. But in the end love pervailed and we worked it out.

See the problem I have with working with James is that he uses tools that I am totally scared of. For instance, we were in the basement closet putting up the shelves and he wanted me to hold up this wood thing and he would air nail it to the wall. But that air nailer is the scariest thing in the world and I thought he was nailing too close to my fingers so I dropped the peice of wood and the level on the floor... he was not impressed with that. But the thing is, I have seen him nail his finger to wood before, and if you can be stupid enough to nail your own finger, you can definetly nail someone elses. We also used a table saw (or I should say we attempted to use) because I backed out on helping with that tool, which resulted in a hole in the freshly painted wall.

I hate power tools! I am not like the lady in the Rona commercials where she is all talented and
"do it her selfy". I could think of nothing worse than fixing something on my own. Since I backed out (or avoided helping) with the things that involved tools, my jobs were meant to keep me busy. I was in-charge of filling all the nail holes with putty (haha) and sanding rough areas and fetching any tool that James needed. Which was also a huge mistake because I have no clue what any tool looks like. He sent me into the garage to get him a router. I told him I needed a complete description of what it looks like and an area of the garage that it might be in. After 15 minutes of searching for this so-called router and starring blankly at 100s of tools, I came back with one... but not the right router. You gotta give me some credit, atleast it was a router, even if it was not the one he wanted. I also hate it when he sends me to get him a screwdriver. He will say he needs a "philips" screwdriver, but that means nothing to me! I need to know if its a cross, star, straight, or diamond screwdriver... don't confuse me with a name!

So after 1 thrown paint brush and 3 attempts of ditching the consturction zone, all in all it was a good weekend. We learned that we can work together we just have to find the right jobs for me to do. I am wicked at filling nail holes and sanding corners and I can hold up a peice of wood to be nailed to the wall (as long as the gun comes no where close to my hands). I look forward to working on the upstairs with my handy husband, I just need a couple of days to recooperate from the basement building bee.

2 comments:

Sheena said...

Sure sounds like you two got along! I am proud of your 'handi-man' ways. I am looking forward to seeing the house soon!

Melissa Denise said...

Seriously, we did get along... I had fun bugging him and he had fun watching me do stupid jobs.