Wednesday, October 18, 2006

22 year old in a 72 year old body!

I'm getting old.... well at least I feel like I am getting old. I woke up today at my usual time (7:23 am), tried to sit up in bed and felt like over night I had aged about 50 years (making me feel like I am 72 years old). My back hurt like it was twisted and the weirdest thing ever is that my elbow is throbbing. Usually an elbow is not something that hurts... unless you hurt your funny bone. Hopefully I will start to shed some years as the day progresses.

Last night we meet with our financial guy again to go over our life insurance policy. He asked us if we wanted critical illnes coverage on our mortgage, which is something we had not had in the past. It really gets you thinking when you talk about the chances of getting cancer one day. You have a 1/3 chance of having cancer (or some sort of critical illness) in your lifetime. So when he asked if we wanted this coverage it really made us think.

It makes sense to plain ahead, especially when so many people you know are being diagnosed with cancer everyday, but that extra money each month can make things a little tight. But can you really put a price on insurance, especially when you have such a high risk of using it one day? The one thing that made me hit home was when he asked if we had house insurance (and of course we d0), but you have a 1/3000 chance of using it. He asked if we had car insurance (and we do), but you have a 1/200 chance of using that. When he asked if we had critical illness insurance (and we don't) and he said you had a 1/20 chance of using, it really hits home!

So it's something to think about.... maybe that's why I feel so old today. All this talk about death and critical illnesses. I'm sure I am fine though.....

2 comments:

Shauna Archer said...

Hey Melissa,
Thanks for posting a comment on my blog!! I'm so excited for you re: new house - how cool. Are you still at LHAC? Did you graduate this past June? Is James finished also? So many questions - sorry! Hope you have a great time with your parents - say HI for me :)
Shauna

Shauna Archer said...

Hi Melissa,
Thanks for posting on my blog! Its good to connect with people from back home. A new house? How cool! Are you still at LHAC? Did you graduate in June? Is James finished? So many questions - sorry! Say HI to your parents when the come :)
Shauna