Friday, October 27, 2006

The house is ours!!!

The day finally came.... THE HOUSE IS OURS!
Yesterday the long awaited day came. The drywallers packed up the house and handed us over the keys (okay, we already had keys but it's ours!) It was a great day yesterday, not only because we got ready for painting but also because we got some sod! Yes, 3/4 of our backyard is covered in nice, lush, green grass. And today the rest will get done (keep your fingers crossed!). I got on my jeans and hoody yesterday and went out to help lay the sod. I couldn't pick up a roll of grass but that's okay, my job was to fill the holes in with peices and to cut the sod around the beautiful corner steps James made. By the end we were working in the dark so I had to run and get a flood light so we could see, but we made it! No more muddy puppy feet to deal with!
After supper we had to go and do our cleanup in the house. We are doing the cleanup after trades because we save money that way. This cleanup was by far the grossest one yet. The drywall dust was ALL OVER the house and we had to sweep it up. I was in charge of getting it away from the wall and James was the main "sweeper", but James fired me from that job so in the end I just moved things out of the way so he could sweep. Luckily grandma (in her cast) and grandpa and baby Lexis came over to help. We worked for a solid 2 hours but have the house all ready to go. Lexis was adorable, she turned gray with all the dust! So when we emerged all covered in dust, I put Lexis in the shower (one of her favorite places) and cleaned her all up.
So, grandma and grandpa are going to start painting today while we are at work. I have given them directions about which walls are what colours. (But I will be going home for lunch just to check and make sure they didn't get confused.) Grandpa is a good painter, and well Grandma, let's just say it might be a good thing she broke her wrist...haha.
I can't show you any pics of this weekend because Conrad and Sheena borrowed our camera. Conrad's sister is having a baby (or had one last night) so they asked to borrow it. If they bring it back on Sunday I will snap some pics...... Stop by this weekend if you want to see the house! I will be there ALL weekend! I'm not complaining though, because the harder we work the sooner we can move in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo for finally getting the house! We are coming home tonight so can help you paint tomorrow and return your camera!
By the way, Paige Lucy Nicole Shepherd is so cute! I am such a proud Auntie (and so proud of Cathay after 37 hours of labour)!